Total and Marubeni win Qatar solar contract

Total and Marubeni win Qatar solar contract

20 Jan 2020

A consortium led by France’s Total and Japan’s Marubeni has been awarded the contract to develop an 800MW photovoltaic (PV) solar plant in Qatar. The first 350MW is due to be operational by the first quarter of 2021, with the full 800MW scheduled to be connected to the grid by the first quarter of 2022.

A consortium led by France’s Total and Japan’s Marubeni has been awarded the contract to develop an 800MW photovoltaic (PV) solar plant in Qatar.

The PV project will be developed in the Al-Kharsaah area of Qatar, about 80km west of Doha. The first 350MW is due to be operational by the first quarter of 2021, with the full 800MW scheduled to be connected to the grid by the first quarter of 2022.

The winning consortium was one of five groups which submitted bids in June last year.

The other bidders were:

• Engie (France)/ GS E&C (South Korea)

• Jinko Power (China)/ Kepco (South Korea)

• Mitsubishi Corporation (Japan)

• Powerchina

The UK’s EY provided the client, Siraj Solar, with financial advisory services during the tendering process with UK legal firm DLA Piper and Finland’s Poyry providing legal and technical advisory services respectively.

Siraj Solar is a joint venture (JV) of utility provider Qatar Electricity & Water Company (QEWC) and state oil company Qatar Petroleum (QP).

The successful consortium will own a 40 per cent stake in the solar asset, with the government-owned Siraj Solar holding the remaining 60 per cent.

List your business

Create a business listing on the Energy & Utilities markeplace

Sign up for the FREE Energy newsletter

The latest news and analysis sent to your inbox.