Saudi Arabia invites interest in $3.5bn Ras al-Khair power and water plant privatisation
1 Jun 2020
Saudi Arabia’s Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) has invited firms to submit expressions of interest (EOI) for the privatisation of the existing Ras al-Khair desalination and power plant, a deal which is likely to be worth up to $3.5bn and represents the first major utilties plant that the kingdom is aiming to sell-off to the private sector.
Firms have been invited to submit expressions of interest (EOI) for the privatisation deal by 25 June.
The Ras al-Khair plant has current operating desalination capacity of 1.05 million cubic metres a day (cm/d) and a power generation capacity of 2.65GW. The plant has a current book value of SR12-13bn ($3.3-3.5bn), according to sources close to the privatisation programme.
The plant has one of the largest desalination capacities in the world, which is devliered through a hybrid-configuration of multi-stage flash (MSF) thermal desalination and reverse osmosis (RO) membrane technology. MSF accounts for about 70 per cent of the total capacity, with RO accounting for the remaining 30 per cent.
The RO plant has been in operation since 2014, with the MSF desalination component and the power generation capacity coming online in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
The water desalination plant was built by South Korea’s Doosan, with China’s Sepco 3 delivering the power plant. The power plant has gas turbines installed from Germany’s Siemens.
The plant has a total of about 800 employees, with SWCC employees accounting for 400 of these, and Doosan and Sepco 3 also accounting for about 400.
The planned privatisation of SWCC’s assets is being overseen by the kingdom’s Privatisation Supervisory Committee.
The programme to privatise existing SWCC assets was first launched in 2008, however little progress was made until the launch of the kingdom’s Vision 2030 in 2016, with the privatisation of state assets forming a central pillar of the ambitious reform programme.
SWCC appointed France’s BNP Paribas as the lead and financial adviser for the planned privatisation in October 2017. SWCC is also being adviser by Atkins, technical adviser, Ernst & Young, accounting adviser and Clifford Chance and the local Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani law firm (AS&H) as legal advisers.
Want more Energy & Utilities insight?
Free energy tutorials at your fingertips this May and June with Middle East Energy Online
Be confident in finding the inspiration you need to navigate the energy evolution. Be energised by 40 hours of free virtual seminars, tech demos, case studies and thought leadership, to help you find the answer to your project challenges, only through Middle East Energy 2021. Plus, discover over 150 renewable and clean energy, transmission & distribution, critical & backup power and energy consumption & management suppliers and solution specialists, from solar and green hydrogen to automation solutions, EV controls, plus switchgears and components.
Energy & Utilities Market Outlook Reports
Find out the biggest challenges facing different regions and what technologies will have the biggest impact on the energy industry and businesses across the world.