PwC chosen for PIF renewable energy projects in Saudi Arabia

28 Jan 2022
PwC chosen for PIF renewable energy projects in Saudi Arabia

UK-based PwC has been selected as financial adviser for six major renewable energy projects for Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth vehicle Public Investment Fund (PIF), which will include solar and wind projects

UK-based PwC has been selected as financial adviser for six major renewable energy projects for Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth vehicle Public Investment Fund (PIF), which will include solar and wind projects.

The projects will be the second phase of major renewables projects to be developed under the PIF’s ambitious clean energy programme. The second phase is due to contain projects with a capacity of 2.3GW, which will include a 900MW PV solar plant at Shuaiba, according to sources close to the programme.

Energy & Utilities reported in August that the PIF had received proposals from international financial consultants for the transaction advisory role on the next phase of clean energy projects.

The PIF awarded the first contract for a utility-scale renewable energy project in 2021, when it selected Acwa Power to develop the 1.5GW Sudair photovoltaic (PV) solar independent power producer (IPP) project.

Energy & Utilities reported in April 2021 that Acwa Power had signed a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) for the 1.5GW Sudair IPP project, which is being developed under the solar programme of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), the Saudi sovereign wealth fund. The Sudair solar project will require a total investment of SR3.4bn ($910m).

The tariff of $c1.239/kWh for the Sudair IPP project was the second lowest PV solar tariff in the world when the PPA was signed, only beaten by the Fasiliyah IPP, also being developed by Acwa Power.

Saudi Arabia has set an ambitious target of developing 58.7GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030. PIF will oversee the development of 70 per cent of the 58.7GW target, through directly negotiated contracts with investors with the Renewable Energy Project Development Office (Repdo), part of the kingdom’s Ministry of Energy, to oversee the development of the remaining 30 per cent of this through a competitive tendering programme.

Energy & Utilities Middle East and Africa Market Outlook Report 2022: Out Now!

The coming years promise opening of new avenues within the energy industry. The latest outlook report from Energy & Utilities highlights the power sector outlook with a focus on both, developed regions, as well as emerging markets.

Explore core findings about the business opportunities, regulatory environment in the Middle East’s power market and more about the planned projects and investments in Africa’s emerging utilities markets in this latest release.

E&U Podcast

Subscribe to our Market Talk podcast for the latest on the key issues and trends in the energy and utilities sector

List your business

Create a business listing on the Energy & Utilities markeplace

Sign up for the FREE Energy newsletter

The latest news and analysis sent to your inbox.

Drop Us A Message
I have read, understood and consent to your Privacy Policy