Oman Cables awarded contract for Qatar’s Al-Kharsaah solar project

Oman Cables awarded contract for Qatar’s Al-Kharsaah solar project

27 May 2021

Oman Cables has been awarded a contract to supply 3,000km of photovoltaic (PV) cables for the 800MW Al-Kharsaah PV solar independent power producer (IPP) project in Qatar

Oman Cables has been awarded a contract to supply 3,000km of photovoltaic (PV) PRYSUN cables for the 800MW Al-Kharsaah PV solar independent power producer (IPP) project in Qatar.

A consortium led by France’s Total and Japan’s Marubeni was awarded the contract to develop the Al-Kharsaah PV IPP in January 2020. The consortium owns a 40 per cent stake in the solar asset, with the government-owned Siraj Solar holding the remaining 60 per cent.

Siraj Solar is a joint venture (JV) of utility provider Qatar Electricity & Water Company (QEWC) and state oil company Qatar Petroleum (QP).

Oman Cables launched its PRYSUN solar cable in 2021. The solar cables have been designed to withstand the demanding conditions of PV projects in the Middle East and are certified by TUV. The PRYSUN cables have been designed for the interconnection of various elements of PV systems, including panel interconnection, between panels and string boxes or string boxes to the inverter.

The Al-Khaarsah solar project will be developed in the Al-Kharsaah area of Qatar, about 80km west of Doha. The first 350MW is due to be operational in 2021, with the full 800MW scheduled to be connected to the grid in 2022. The project will reduce the CO2 emissions in Qatar by 26 million tonnes during the life of the project.

Want more Energy & Utilities insight?

Free energy tutorials at your fingertips this May and June with Middle East Energy Online

Be confident in finding the inspiration you need to navigate the energy evolution. Be energised by 40 hours of free virtual seminars, tech demos, case studies and thought leadership, to help you find the answer to your project challenges, only through Middle East Energy 2021. Plus, discover over 150 renewable and clean energy, transmission & distribution, critical & backup power and energy consumption & management suppliers and solution specialists, from solar and green hydrogen to automation solutions, EV controls, plus switchgears and components.

E&U Podcast

Subscribe to our Market Talk podcast for the latest on the key issues and trends in the energy and utilities sector

List your business

Create a business listing on the Energy & Utilities markeplace

Sign up for the FREE Energy newsletter

The latest news and analysis sent to your inbox.

Drop Us A Message
I have read, understood and consent to your Privacy Policy