Developers wait for Abu Dhabi waste-to-energy project
Abu Dhabi’s first major waste-to-energy (WTE) project is expected to have a processing capacity of between 600,000 and 900,000 tonnes of waste per year
Developers are still waiting to receive the request for proposals (RFP) for Abu Dhabi’s first major waste-to-energy (WTE) project, which is expected to have a processing capacity of between 600,000 and 900,000 tonnes of waste per year.
Energy & Utilities reported in December that Abu Dhabi-based Emirates Water & Electricity Company (Ewec), in partnership with Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre (Tadweer), had received prequalification documents from developers for the Al-Dhafra WTE project, which will developed under the independent power producer (IPP) model.
Developers had expected to receive the RFP in the first quarter of 2022, but it will likely be issued after the Holy month of Ramadan in May at the earliest, according to sources close to the project.
More than 80 firms had submitted EOI in February 2021 for the project, which will be located near the existing Al-Dhafra landfill site in Abu Dhabi. The WTE plant is expected to have a processing capacity of between 600,000 and 900,000 tonnes of waste per year.
Major developers believed to have submitted EOI include:
- Acciona (Spain)
- Acwa Power (Saudi Arabia)
- CNIM (France)
- Hitachi Zosen Inova (Japan)
- Itochu (Japan)
- Masdar (local)
- Mitsubishi Corporation (Japan)
- Mitsui (Japan)
- Marubeni Corporation (Japan)
- Sojitsu (Japan)
- Suez (France)
- Veolia (France)
The successful developer will own up to 40 per cent of the special purpose vehicle (SPV) established to develop and operate and maintain the project. The Abu Dhabi government will hold the remaining 60 per cent.
Energy & Utilities reported in October that Ewec and Tadweer had appointed advisers for two planned WTE projects in Abu Dhabi.
According to sources close to the project, Denmark’s Ramboll has been selected as technical adviser, UK law firm Ashurst as legal adviser and the local Tribe has been appointed as financial adviser for two WTE projects which will have a total power generation capacity of up to 150MW and the capacity to process up to 1.5 million tonnes of waste per year.
Energy & Utilities - Middle East and Africa Market, Outlook Report 2023.
This must-have report for industry players offers a thorough understanding of the latest developments, challenges, and opportunities in the region, supported by data, analysis, and expert insights.
Market Outlook Report 2023
This resource provides insights into business opportunities, trends, and technologies in the MEA energy sector. It covers current and upcoming power projects, new energy initiatives across MENA, investment trends in the African energy scene, and highlights in solar markets, hydrogen, and battery storage.